IN THE END is a YA contemporary that has a similar premise to TUMBLE & FALL by Alexandra Coutts...only not quite. Mine has a little added something something to differentiate it. Actually, a kind of big something something, but anyway. (Side note: I had already started writing IN THE END when I discovered the existence of TUMBLE & FALL. Ughhh. Needless to say, I was somewhat bummed. I haven't yet read this comp, so I don't know exactly how similar the premise is, but I thought I'd still mention it.)
1) For reasons relating to the plot of my WiP, Nova wears a Walking Dead tee almost like an ironic uniform for the first half of the book. (She does make sure to wash it regularly, of course. Because ewww.)
2) Nova has to be the adult too often in her relationships with her all-but-estranged father and going-off-the-rails-because-of-circumstances mother. (Disclaimer: I’m not usually a fan of crap parents in YA—they’re overdone and sort of a cliché—but this is how I kept envisioning them, so crap parents it is.)
3) Nova (along with BFF, Avni) has a penchant for 90s movies, but thanks to the events in my WiP, her cinematic tastes have zeroed in hardcore on disaster movies, regardless of era. Her favourite at the moment: Deep Impact (1998).
4) I originally picked Nova’s name because supernovas were relevant to my story, but this has since changed somewhat. It was supposed to be sort of tongue in cheek. Nova is the feminized version of the Latin word novus, meaning “new”, which is still pretty significant to the events of my WiP.
5) Nova has had a long-time crush on Ezra Harris, one of her high school’s football players. She’s not much of a football fan, but she IS an Ezra fan, which means she has attended every one of their home games, cheering him on and admiring him from afar. Too bad he has no idea. Well…yet.
One last teensy detail: I picture her looking a little bit like Carey Mulligan. -------»
Oh, and one other teensy detail: This is how I picture Nova's love interest, Ezra, HERE.*
(That's right, folks. I doubt I need an explanation why because YOWZA. Am I right?)
I've noticed that others participating in this bloghop have included a song that kind of sums up the essence of their characters. I have a playlist that feels appropriate to my WiP and whatnot, but there isn't really a song that screams Nova, or that sums her up.
There is, however, this song by Avril Lavigne that seems fitting to a teen faced with the possibility of having her life snuffed out suddenly. I apologize so, so much for this. So terribly much. Fair warning: there is some salty-ish LANGUAGE in the video, so...**
Addition: Just realized I forgot to tag someone. Oops. Since you would like to play along, I'm tagging you, Rachel! Can't wait to hear about your character. Oh, and I'm tagging anybody else who would love to take part. Tell us about your character!
* Minus the stache and beard, mind you. Think baby faced FNL era MBJ.
** I should mention, as a Canadian I am not required to like Avril Lavigne. Or her hubs Chad Kroeger from Nickelback. Argh.***
*** I don't, in fact, like Avril Lavigne. Or Nickelback. Wow, this post is spiralling out of control...